photo aboutframe_zpsec607629.png                   photo contactframe_zps7210164c.png                 photo pressframe1_zpse96fd1d2.png                  photo blogrollbutton_zps07da44d3.png

Thursday, June 2, 2011

House Of Jeffers, party of 2, visits Philadelphia - Day 1

Hey ya'll! Hope you had a fab Memorial Day Weekend!



For the weekend, my hubby and I headed to Philadelphia for a soccer tournament - which gave me an excuse to do "research" for my blog (i.e. go shopping). I've been there before, but this time I really fell in love with the city.

This was my go-to shopping outfit for Day 1. Surprisingly, the shoes were extremely comfortable!





Outfit:
Striped dress - Urban Outfitters
Peep Toe Wedges - Nine West
Bag - gift from my mom
Nail polish - IM Beauty (Yellow) Sephora by OPI


On a mission to find the best shopping in town, we browsed South Street but was disappointed... It's a cool place to take in, but didn't get any shopping accomplished.



Prior to our trip, I came across SmakParlour.com - an adorable shop located on Market Street that boasts uber girly dresses and accessories with a rock n'roll feel. One look at their site, and I knew I had to go in person.

Along the way, we stopped at Doggie Style, a pet store filled with pet goodness. Of course, I bought something for Harley.

I found SmakParlour, but just as I was about to enter, a pretty girl, who I didn't know at the time was Katie, one half of the owners, put a note on the door saying they were closing early at 5 p.m., and it was 4:58 p.m.

I must have had a pitiful look on my face because she unlocked the door and said, "You know what, come on in!"



I really can't thank her enough for doing that for me. It just goes to show you that there are really nice people out there, and while it was one stop on my trip, I'm so glad I was able to shop there. The girls let me try on a bunch of dresses and didn't rush me at all while I took my time trying on clothes and baubles. I ended up walking out with an adorable, retroish yellow sleeveless dress! Can't wait to show it off!

With bag in tow, we walked the surrounding blocks in Old City and stumbled upon Betsy Ross' house on Arch Street. While what she's known for isn't so much fashion related, she did sew together the first American Flag. Pretty cool though... Check out her house. Right in the middle of shopping... Lucky girl.




Another shop I read about was Topstitch Boutique. Lauded as one of the best stores in town, it's a mixture of jewelry, clothing and accessories featuring local designers, and was the design studio for owner Linda Smyth's jewelry lines Fleathers, earrings made from recycled leather and Rabid Fox, a menagerie of animalwares in the form of gold and metals. The store's layout was a mix of vintage beauty meets modern flair, with it's jewelry uniquely displayed throughout. I wasn't alone in my admiration of Topstitch's offerings - it was packed, and every gal in the store had something in their hand.







While the store was closing Saturday, (unbeknowst to me), you can still get your fix on their website and by visiting her Etsy shop.

Philly really has so much to offer for the niche shopper - you just gotta know where to look. Market Street is def. the place to be. If I had more time, I probably could have done some more damage... There's always next time.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with your dress! I want it! I love the shoes you paired it with too!

Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

Unknown said...

The last shop you were into sounds so dreamy :)I also love the striped dress you were wearing in the pictures.Looks absolutely lovely

Unknown said...

i love the dress you wore!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

caramellitsa said...

beautiful photos!! you must had a great time there :)
lovely dress and i have to say it you have so beautiful eyes!!

kisses <3

caramellitsa

Paulina Mo, lilbitsofchic.com said...

Love the wedges from Nine West!! I love their shoes, they are always comfy and cute!

Following you now :) I was convinced when I read your one month without shopping challenge! I totally need to do that one od these days!! Hope you can follow mine too!

~Pau
www.lilbitsofchic.blogspot.com

Cinderella's Closet said...

Is that the dress you were talking about getting after your 30 day challenge? Sweet dress! Absolutely perfect with those adorable shoes.

I would have loved shopping with you @ Topstitch. Who won the game?

xoxo

Cinderella's Closet NYC

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen!
What great photos. It looked like a wonderful excuse to do some "research." Hope the shopping bug has worn off!?

Deirdre said...

What an adorable dress!! I agree about South Street--I think it's really cool, but the few times I've been there, I've never had much success *actually* buying anything.
Your newest follower,
Deirdre
http://picturesofpeoplewearingclothes.blogspot.com
(p.s. I found you through Carmellitsa's blog...)

Gertrude said...

Your dress is super lovely! And I really like the painting on that building. xo

House Of Jeffers said...

Appreciate it, ladies! This was actually one of the first dresses I bought after my 30 day no shopping challenge. I'm really in love with it - Urban Outfitters has really upped their offering this summer....

Jen